FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Edgware Town 2 - Risborough Rangers 3

FA Vase 1st Qualifying Round

Risborough Rangers 3 (1)

Edgware Town 2 (1)

Attendance 103

By Gavin Shaw

'The Wares' bowed out of the FA Vase at the 1st Qualifying stage against a strong Risborough side at the B.E.P. Stadium in Buckinghamshire.

Edgware goalkeeper Michael Anguzu was a busy man all afternoon, his first meaningful save came on 7 minutes, turning away a rasping drive from ‘Rangers’ Bertie Squire-Adams.

Edgware were struggling to get a foothold on the game and on 10 minutes Anguzu palmed away a Kieron Schmidt shot from just outside the box.

As the game settled down, Edgware playing down the slope began to impose their own passing game on the hosts.

Hafid Bounyafe had the ‘Wares’ first effort of note on 23 minutes, his effort looping over ‘Rangers’ keeper Jack Brooker.

Edgware gave away a direct free kick in the 24th minute, the resulting shot from Marcus Wylle was struck perfectly, the ball cannoning in off Anguzu’s far post putting the hosts 1-0 ahead.

‘The Wares’ response was a positive one as they began to ask questions of the home defence.

Following a challenge on Novell Sony-Bruce, parity was restored on 38 minutes, Theo Ofori dispatched his spot kick to the right of Brooker's net 1-1.

Just as Edgware were putting pressure on the home goal, half time arrived with the team’s even at the break.

In the 49th minute Edgware had a good opportunity to mount a break away attack, Nile Waite clear through on goal, was pulled back, Joel Read the ‘Rangers’ defender fortunate to only receive a yellow card.

A clash of heads saw ‘Wares’ custodian Anguzu receive some treatment as the game was briefly halted in the 56th minute.

Risborough were now enjoying a period of concerted pressure which resulted in their reclaiming of the lead.

Anguzu initially saving a shot from Bertie Squire-Adams, the ball fell to Sean Coles, his header evading Anguzu to give the hosts a 2-1 lead after 66 minutes.

Risborough were in the ascendancy, it was clear to see why they had gone more than two years without a home defeat.

A third goal duly arrived it must be said deservedly, with 8 minutes remaining, Alex Kedzierski ‘s shot from outside the area made it 3-1.

Edgware pulled one back in stoppage time, Ricky Campbell on as a sub found the net from close range for 3-2

Deep into stoppage time ‘The Wares’ won a couple of corners, Mo Kahdum almost got away from his defender and would have been clear on goal, ‘Rangers’ were rattled but it was too much too late.