Welwyn Garden City 5-2 Edgware Town


League game played away Saturday 27th January  


  1. Darren Bonfield
  2. David Sota 
  3. Alfie Hill
  4. Perry Aitchision
  5. Denis Marhajan
  6. Andrew Manitou
  7. Ryan Carruthers
  8. Dan Pett
  9. Mikkel James
  10. Rio Beech
  11. Hani Berchiche
  12. Luke Durnin
  13. Fergus Moore
  14. Ronnie Mfinda
  15. Stanley Anum

Despite being 4-0 down in 25 minutes the game evened itself out but too late for any good recovery of the scoreline. A real defensive failure was more responsible for the scoreline than good play from the opposition. A Good second half form the Wares.


Welwyn scored in the first minute pumping a ball into the box and a failure to clear led to a catastrophic start 1-0. Welwyn’s tails were up and taking advantage of a shock start and yet more poor defending led to a second goal on 6 minutes 2-0.  No time to breathe and about 10 minutes later Welwyn score another with a ball into the box and a failure to clear 3-0. Shortly after Alfie Hill came off injured and made way for Luke Durnin. The defence all at sea and a 4th for Welwyn was from a corner 4-0. Manager Fergus Moore decided to take charge on the pitch and Perry Aitchison came off to make way on 32 minutes. The Wares settle down and had several attacking plays and attempts at goal. Just before half time the referee awards a penalty after the keeper takes down Mikkel James. Dan Pett steps up to take only to see the ball saved but minutes later Ryan Caruthers corrects the score with a curled shot into the bottom corner from outside the box. 4-1.


HT - 4–1


Welwyn tried to start in the same fashion but were held comfortably, Fergus Moore picking up a caution on 47 minutes. Not long on and with an injury Luke Durnin came off and was substituted for Ronnie Mfinda. The second half was a fairly even game. Andrew Manitiou also questionably picked up a caution on 60 minutes breaking up play. Edgware at this point were taking every opportunity to attack but were then caught on the counter when a cleared ball struck another player on the back to fall into the striker's path on 68 minutes 5-1. The Wares continue to put pressure on the Welwyn defence and were rewarded with another Ryan Carruthers goal 5-2. A couple more attempts at goal from the Wares and the game was over.  


FT - 5-2