Edgware Town 1-2 Welwyn Garden City 



SSML League game played at home Tuesday 12th September 


  1. Cain Davies 
  2. Sam Addae
  3. Rio Beech
  4. Perry Aitchison
  5. Nick Turner
  6. Andrew Manitou
  7. Ethan Mooney
  8. Dan Pett
  9. Mikkel James
  10. Luke Durnin
  11. Omalolu Onabolu
  12. Thomas Rivet
  13. Taylor Montgomery
  14. Reon Thomas
  15. Ben Gray
  16. Fergus More


Edgware were organised, composed and played football when they could and counter attacked as a rule. This was a hard fought victory for Welwyn Garden City despite the statistics that show a more one sided game. Welwyn had 13 attempts at goal to the Wares 3 and 14 corners to the Wares 4. WGC had about 60 of possession but the Wares controlled the situation they were in until the last moments of the game when defending their lead seemed to be the most important thing to do. The game was played at a very quick tempo. Both teams were very similar but WGC were more effective at it.


It took the Wares 30 or so minutes before making any possession count. In that time WGC managed 5 attempts at goal earning them 3 corners.  Possession was reasonably equal in this period but the Wares were just not able to penetrate effectively in the final third. Within a 5 minute spell where the Wares were able to enter into the final third to force some pressure on their opposition and they gained a corner as a result. Their continued pressure also earned them a free kick just outside the box which was sharply whipped into the back post for Manitou to head home 1-0. The game then resumed with WGC trying to make amends but for all their possession in the last minutes of the first half, it never really came to anything.


HT 1-0


The second half was slightly a more even affair for the first 20 or so minutes with the game going form end to end with a few chances going to each team. On 65 minutes Welwyn made a change and the tide started to turn in their favour. The next 3 minutes saw WGC take 7 corners but the Wares held resolute. End to end for the next 5 minutes saw both the Wares and WGC get a shot off each. In the 73rd minute Rivet replaced Manitou in midfield, a straight swap. Another 2 corner kicks later and Welwyn had their first goal of the night coming in from the far post after the ball was lofted in from another corner 1-1. With their tails up WGC pumped ball after ball into the box, inevitably on the 79th minute with Davies seemingly fouled and with no recompense, a Welwyn player struck a lose ball that was not cleared by the Wares defence to score their 2nd 2-1. The rest of the game was played out with the Wares trying to equalise leaving WGC to counter when they could.

Probably a fair result although a draw would have been hard fought had the foul on Davies been given.


FT 1-2